Credit by Exam
For current SCUC ISD students, Credit by Exam is offered four times per school year. The dates for testing at SHS for the 2019–20 school year areAugust 12-19 | November 18-22 | February 3-7 | May 18-22Students may take up to two (2) semester exams at each test session. Students must sign up with their counselor 3 to 4 weeks before the exam. Qualifications for taking one of the two types of exams are explained below.Credit by Exam for Acceleration
- Steele works with The University of Texas at Austin K – 16 Curriculum for all Credit by Exam for Acceleration
- Students may take an exam to earn credit for any course offered, as long as they have not received instruction in that course. List of courses available are found here on the UT Website: Credit by Exams
- A score of 80 or better is required to receive credit
- The same Credit for Acceleration may be attempted only two times
- There is no cost to the student/parent for this type of exam for the first attempt
- Students can obtain a CBE for Acceleration Request Form from their counselor or by clicking on the link below. Request forms should be returned to the student's counselor with all required signatures.
Click this link for the form to register: "Credit by Exam Request Form"
*Be sure to look at the reviews for each exam you are interested in taking. Some of them cover very specific items and require that you read a certain book, etc. prior to taking the exam. The link to reviews can be found at the bottom of this page.
Credit by Exam with Prior Instruction
Note: The letters A & B represent each semester. "A" is Fall Semester and "B" is Spring Semester when requesting exams for courses.Review guides are available in the links below. Be sure to look at the reviews for each exam you are interested in taking.Some of them are over very specific items and require that you read a certain book, etc. prior to taking the exam.Please keep in mind...
- Students may be eligible for credit by examination if they have failed a one semester course OR both semesters for a full year course
- To receive credit for the course, students must score an exam grade of 70 or higher
- Students must visit with their counselor for specifics & details
- Grades received through credit by examination/exam for acceleration will not be used in calculating grade point average and class rank
- Transportation is the responsibility of the student
- Testing will be done outside of the student's regular school day and transportation to & from testing is the responsibility of the student and/or parent or guardian
- No study guides or materials will be provided for students attempting a credit by exam
- Modifications that would make the test invalid are prohibited
- Students will be notified of the location, time, and date of their exams
- Student must notify their counselor if they are unable to attend
- Tests given will be assigned a test date
- It is understood that the passing rate for credit by exam in the past couple of years has been low; therefore, it is very important that students prepare for the exam with the study guides linked below