Service Hours Guidelines
- Individual community service hours are volunteer hours of approved community service that students arrange for and complete on their own.
- Individual community service hours should be completed through an official organization (school, community, and/or church).
- Activities completed by a student for an individual person is NOT considered community service.
- Hours that a student is paid for MAY NOT count as community service hours.
- Members are required to complete a set amount of community service hours based upon their grade level and/or years involved in NHS.
- For example: Returning members (12th grade) are required to complete 32 hours during the school year. New members (12th grade) are required to complete 24 hours during the school year. New members (11th grade) are required to complete 16 hours during the school year.
- Students may earn hours AFTER the Spring deadline of hours and over the summer to count towards the fall semester.
- Group NHS service opportunities will be created to help members acquire community service hours.
- Church events (Sunday school teacher, church projects, usher, etc.)
- Other school group events (Relay for Life, highway clean-up, STUCO events for community service, Steele Prep Days)
- Before or after school tutoring (without pay and at school)
- Local organizations: Schertz Animal Shelter, Schertz Public Library, Humane Society of New Braunfels, Food Banks, Habitat for Humanity, Senior Citizen Home
**Steele ROTC Members can print their Steele ROTC Service Record and attach it to an NHS hours sheet to turn in each month.** A Signature by their commanding officer is still required on the Steele NHS Service Hours Form.