MARKET STRUCTURE WEBQUEST1. What is a monopoloy
2. Now take a look at the history of monopolies such as Microsoft, and Standard Oil.
a. How does the author of this website believe Microsoft developed into a monopoly?
b. Initially, Apple had more technologically innovative machines than Microsoft, why didn’t they gain market share?
c.What cemented Microsoft’s position as a software monopoly?
d. What did Microsoft start to do in the ‘90s?
e. Who owned Standard Oil?
f.What happened to Standard Oil in 1911?
g. What criteria does a company have to meet to be considered a monopoly?
3. What is an oligopoly? http://www.investopedia.com/terms/o/oligopoly.asp
4. Why are Coke and Pepsi considered an oligopoly?
a.What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of an oligopoly?
5. What is deregulation? http://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/deregulate.asp
6. What is a patent? http://www.uspto.gov/inventors/patents.jsp
7. Go to the U. S. Patent office to find out more about patents.
a. Who can apply for a patent?
b. What can be patented?
c. What can’t be patented?
d. How long does patent protection last?