Fashion Design 1
This course is recommended for students in Grades 10-12. Students shall be awarded one credit for successful completion of this course.
Information about Fashion Design I Class from New Career and Technical Education (CTE) Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS):
1. Career and technical education (CTE) instruction provides content aligned with challenging academic standards and relevant technical knowledge and skills for students to further their education and succeed in current or emerging professions.
2. Fashion Design classes are part of the CTE “Arts, Audio/Video Technology, and Communications Career Cluster,” which focuses on careers in designing, producing, exhibiting, performing, writing, and publishing multimedia content, including visual and performing arts and design, journalism, and entertainment services.
3. Careers in fashion span all aspects of the textile and apparel industries. Within this context, in addition to developing technical knowledge and skills needed for success in the Arts, Audio/Video Technology, and Communications Career Cluster, students will be expected to develop an understanding of the fashion industry with an emphasis on design and construction.
4. Students are encouraged to participate in extended learning experiences such as career and technical student organizations and other leadership or extracurricular organizations. **Byron P. Steele II High School has a very active FCCLA organization for students enrolled in FCS classes.**
Units of Study:
Unit 1 - Apparel & Fashion
Unit 2 - Apparel Decisions
Unit 3 - Color & Design
Unit 4 - From Fibers to Fabrics
Unit 5 - Sewing Techniques
Unit 6 - Career Preparation
Link to TEKS (Texas Essential Knowledge & Skills) for Fashion Design 1 Class: Fashion Design 1 TEKS
Students will use the following supplies for class on and off campus. When we return to campus, students should bring the following supplies with them.
1. black or blue pens
3. folder or binder
4. lined notebook paper (loose leaf or spiral bound)
5. plain white paper (unlined/copy paper)
6. colored pencils (or crayons)
7. glue and/or glue sticks
8. paper scissors
1. 6-inch or 12-inch ruler (12-inch preferred)
Students will need access to Google Classroom and be able to scan or take pictures of assignments & upload to turn in project work.
Sewing Supplies Required for All Fashion Design Students - Pictures Included - Due by Sept. 1 for Fashion Design 2 class students. Due by Nov. 1 for all Fashion Design 1 class students.