All About Student Support
what it all means.....
- Student Support: or Special education- specially designed instruction to meet the unique needs of a child with a disability.
- Inclusion: a philosophy or belief system that represents a commitment that each student be educated in a neighborhood school and, when possible in the class that the student would have attended had he/she not had a disability.
- Least Restrictive Environment (LRE): Special classes,separate schooling,or removal of children with disabilities from the regular educational environment occurs only when the nature of the disability is such that education in regular classes with the use of supplementary aids and services cannot be achieved satisfactorily.
- ARD Committee(Admission, Review and Dismissal): the group made up of a student's parents and school staff who meet at least annually to decide eligibly and what services will be provided. This committee develops the individual education program (IEP)for a student.
- ARD Meeting: The annual review of a student's special education program that includes an update of the student's progress, a review of the current IEP,and the development of a new individualized Education Plan (IEP) for the coming year.
- Individualized Education Plan/Program(IEP) : A written statement for each child with a disability that is developed,reviewed, and revised according to the requirements of law.
- Goal:a required component of an IEP. Goals are written annually for an individual student.
- Objectives: statements written in measurable terms that relate to the annual goals that represent expected achievement over several weeks or months.
- Instructional Strategy: strategies for strengthening processes for learning. Does NOT change the content of instruction.
- Accommodation: a change in teaching based on the specific needs of a student. Does NOT change the content of instruction. example: copy of notes,highlighted text.
- Modification: a change in the curriculum. Changing the TEKS (grade level expectations). This DOES change the content of instruction.
Ms. Steed - Student Support
Schertz, Cibolo,Universal City ISD
Green Valley Elementary