What is PBIS?
A systems approach for establishing the climate, culture and individualized behavioral supports needed for a school to achieve both academic and behavior success for all students.
PBIS is not…
- A top-down approach (staff involvement is crucial).
- A quick fix for behavior problems (takes 3-5 years of consistency).
- An off-the-shelf, ready to use program (it is developed by the staff/team to fit Wiederstein).
- Administrator free (having the principal or assistant principal on the team is essential).
- A building based team approach.
- An investment of time and energy to learn new skills and develop efficient systems.
- A way to build on existing strengths and remove weaknesses.
- A way to create a culture of respect, integrity and responsibility among students and staff.