Kindergarten Acceleration Guidelines
Acceleration by Examination for Kindergarten is to allow students to advance to first grade who are not yet six years of age but are academically ready to do so. Typically, these are students who have been enrolled in a private kindergarten (accredited or non-accredited) or a homeschool arrangement.
Kindergarten acceleration opportunities will be offered only once per year. SCUCISD does not accept another district’s kindergarten acceleration testing. A student who enrolls in SCUCISD must meet SCUCISD standards if deadlines have not passed.
A student in kindergarten may be accelerated to first grade if he or she meets ALL of the following requirements in this order:
- The student is five years of age on September 1 of the school year for which tested;
- The student resides within SCUCISD. Students must provide proof by
- registering for Kindergarten in SCUC ISD or
- providing proof of residency and birth certificate;
- The parent or legal guardian conferences with the campus principal to discuss request for kindergarten acceleration;
- The student’s parent or legal guardian initiates the request in writing by the registration deadlines for credit by exam;
- The student scores at or above the Kindergarten end-of-year expectations on the district’s reading assessment by the registration deadline for credit by exam;
- The student scores at least 80% on each of the following kindergarten content area assessments (Language Arts, Math, Science, and Social Studies) through Credit by Exam. SCUCISD will purchase the exams from University of Texas Education Center and administer the exams to the student.
The campus principal will make the recommendation to the parent for acceleration. The decision in regards to acceleration by the campus principal is final.
Please visit with the counselor at your child's campus for dates, registration forms and information.
Registration Window - July 18-July 25, 2022
Testing Window - August 10-17, 2022