1832 through 2010

S.C.U.C.I.S.D. HISTORY PROJECT TIMELINE

This History Project Timeline is intended to describe relevant events in the history of the school district and the Schertz, Cibolo, Universal City communities. Please be sure to contact us at (210) 945-6033 if you have information, comments or suggestions.


 
 
1832 

-Anglo-American Colonists settled the Lower Valley community and the territory that lies within the boundaries of today's Guadalupe County. 

-Colonists in what is now Seguin, retreated to Gonzales, Texas because of Indian hostilities.
1838
Colonists returning to the same area (Seguin) called the settlement Walnut Springs.
1839
The residents of Walnut Springs gave their village the name of Seguin to honor Juan Seguin.
1842
County of Guadalupe was created for judicial & all other purposes.
1843
-Sebastian Schertz and his family were the first settlers in the Schertz area.  The settlement was called �Cibolo Pit� at that time.  Later the area became know as �Cutoff�.  The name Cutoff came from the fact that when the Cibolo Creek flooded, the settlement was cutoff from the surrounding area. 

-The Boettigers, Schneiders, Sellers, Maske & Mergele families lived and worked on land in the area around Cibolo Pit.
 
1846
-March 20, 1846 - Legislature of the State of Texas created Guadalupe county & defined it boundaries.

 
-March 24, 1846 - Seguin declared county seat.
1850 to 1860
-German settlement called Valley Post Office founded in the region now known as McQueeney, Marion, Cibolo, Schertz & Lower Valley School in Guadalupe County

-The site of the Valley Post Office was southwest of the intersection of Lower Seguin & Wier Rds (approx 400 yards from the Lower Valley School/Watts Estate property) on the Cibolo Creek banks.
1850 to 1860
-J.G. Bergfeld built grocery & dry good store, & cotton gin in the growing settlement of Lower Valley Post Office; adding a saw mill, grits (or grist) mill, blacksmith shop, livery stable & hotel later.
 
-Valley Post Office was growing and the residents prospered from their farming & ranching.
1870 - 1875
-In 1870 the Schertz family built the first cotton gin on the land where the old Schertz post office (on Main Street) still stands.
 
-By 1875 Sebastian Schertz owned a general store in the community.
1877
-GALVESTON, HARRISBURG & SAN ANTONIO RAILROAD WAS BUILT TO SAN ANTONIO.  The railroad�s course missed the Valley Post Office by two miles; instead taking the high ground through McQueeney, Marion, Cibolo, Schertz and Converse.

-The postal service took advantage of the new rail system and started delivery by train.  New post offices were installed near the tracks.  When the Cibolo Valley post office was established, the Valley post office was abandoned. 
 
-Since the post office near the tracks was called Cibolo Valley, the young community that had settled around the Valley post office,  became known as Lower Valley.
1877
-Lower Valley School #37 was established as the first public school in the community.  From 1877 through 1891 Mr. August Schmitz was the first to teach at Lower Valley School. He received from $30/session up to $234/session.  Mr. Schmitz immigrated from Germany, by boat with other immigrants from Germany.

-Guadalupe County used the Community School System.  Community schools were assigned numbers (consecutively beginning with one, the highest being the number of schools in the county).  The schools' assigned numbers changed yearly depending on the number of schools in the county and the order in which the schools were approved by the county.
1880
-Valley Post Office was the only post office between San Antonio, New Braunfels and Seguin.  It was the first stage coach stop (& holdover) going east out of San Antonio.  The Valley Post Office community grew and was a well known center for business, trade and travel until the Valley Post Office was replaced by the Cibolo Valley Post Office in 1880.
1882
-In 1882, when the first post office was established in the area that is now Schertz,  it was call �Cutoff Post Office�.
1887
-Green Valley School - the following text is from an 1887 entry in the Green Valley School Trustee's Journal dated 1887 to 1893.

    "The school house was erected in July 1887.  It is a frame building, weather boarded and ceiled, painted white.  The school room is 24 feet in length and 18 feet wide and 12 feet high.  There are 14 school benches with desks.  Each bench will seat 4 children.  Also a heating stove, a blackboard, a new desk and a chair for the teacher.  The building is situated on a piece of land donated by A. Wesch and wife  - to the Schertz Community and the title is duly recorded.  The piece of land is one acre in survey.  There is also a cistern near the school house, furnishing sufficient and wholesome water for the school children.  School house and land is enclosed with a substantial fence.  The entire community property is valued at $450."
1890�s
The first school attended by the children growing up in �Cutoff� was Schertz School. It was located across the railroad tracks & Cibolo Creek in the area where the Randolph Stables are now.
1899
The founding families named the community Schertz for the Sebastian Schertz family.
1901
Guadalupe County adopted the District School System, operated under the State�s administration.  The Lower Valley School District was assigned the number 33, which the school used until 1966 when it closed.
1916
Cibolo School building constructed.
1917
Schertz School, a two story brick construction, was built at 301 Main in Schertz, on land donated by Adolph Schertz.  Grades one through 12 attended this school. Sometime before 1948, the name of the school became Schertz-Cibolo High School.
1930

Randolph Air Force Base was dedicated.  It is reported that "there were 15,000 people in attendance at the dedication of the air field and a fly-by of 233 planes, possibly the largest assembly of military aircraft in the world". The construction of Randolph Air Field which began in 1928 was touted as "the largest project undertaken by the U.S. Army Corp. of Engineers since the Panama Canal".

1940
Consolidated Common School Districts of Schertz & Cibolo were merged & became the Schertz-Cibolo Consolidated Common School District.
1952
In 1952 the first of six phases of the original Schertz Elementary School (named for the community) was built at 701 Curtiss Avenue, Schertz. Over the 55 year history of the school, the original campus went through many additions and renovations. In 2009 the Schertz Elementary School replacement campus was dedicated.  Nearly all of the original construction that began in 1952 has been demolished.
1953
A new Schertz-Cibolo High School, was built at 301 Main Street in Schertz, adjacent to the original school building constructed in 1917. The property was originally donated to the school district by the Schertz family. 
 
Schertz-Cibolo High School became O'Henry Jr. High School in 1967 (when Samuel Clemens High School was completed).  In 1984 O'Henry Jr. High was re-named Ray Corbett Jr. High in honor of Ray D. Corbett (an educator, principal and administrator retiring after 24 years with SCUCISD).  
 
During the 50 year history of the school, the building has grown in stages from a single one story building into multiple one and two story buildings.  In 2009 Ray Corbett Jr. High School moved to a replacement campus.  At the time of this writing, the plans for this school at 301 Main Street have not been finalized.
1955
Construction of this school at 200 Schlather Road, Cibolo; known as Schertz-Cibolo Junior High School began with the gym in 1955.  In 1961 the junior high school was re-named O.G. Wiederstein Junior High School. In 1967, this school was used for 6th grade only and in 1969 it became O.G. Wiederstein Elementary for students in kindergarten through 5th grade.
 
There were many additions and renovations to the site through the years. In 2009 O.G. Wiederstein Elementary School moved to a replacement campus located at 171 Borgfeld Road, Cibolo and this school was re-dedicated as the Marion Dolford Learning Center.
1955
1956

     �Lower Valley School is almost one hundred years old and it is still a thriving small two-teacher ten grade country school.  It has a good two-room school building, which has just been remodeled and freshly painted, with as much modern equipment as would be expected in small modern school.  The school has a five room  teacherage with modern facilities furnished free for the teachers and ample playground area.  Grades from 1 through 10 are taught here, with 11 and 12 grades going to the near by Schertz-Cibolo High School."
1961
Rose Garden Elementary School was built in six parts, beginning in 1961 with the wing now used for second-grade classes.  In 1963 the first-grade wing and cafeteria were added.  In 1964 the area that houses the administrative offices was built. The wings used for third & fourth grade were added in 1965 as well as covered walkways that connected the five structures. The gym was built in 1974.   In 1990 the covered walkways were enclosed, and an additional covered walkway connecting the gym to the rest of the school was built. At the same time, rest rooms and a storage office were added to the gym and a faculty workroom, book storage and general storage rooms were added to the main structure.
1961
Schertz-Cibolo Jr. High School at 200 Schlather Road, Cibolo; is re-named to honor the career of O.G. Wiederstein. In 1967, this school was used for 6th grade only and in 1969 it became O.G. Wiederstein Elementary for students in kindergarten through 5th grade. There were many additions and renovations to the site through the years. In 2009 O.G. Wiederstein Elementary School  moved to a replacement campus located at 171 Borgfeld Road, Cibolo and this school was re-dedicated as the Marion Dolford Learning Center. 
1961
April 24, 1961 - Schertz-Cibolo Consolidated Common School District became Schertz-Cibolo Independent School District.

1963

William Malish is hired as Superintendent. Malish introduced changes that reshaped education programs, curriculum, and school administration and enhanced the District�s financial position.

1964/65
School officials report that Schertz-Cibolo Independent School District serves a population of 9000 residing mainly in Schertz and Cibolo and a portion of Universal City (a 41 sq mile area).  The character of the community served consists primarily of residential, farms & ranches with major influence from Randolph Base. Enrollment is 2400.  There are five schools in the District: Schertz-Cibolo Sr. High School, Wiederstein Jr. High School, Schertz Elementary, Rose Garden Elementary & Cibolo Elementary.
1966
Lower Valley School Closes - students in Lower Valley School's service area will attend schools in Schertz-Cibolo I.S.D.
1966
The Northview Campus was started with the construction of the front section in 1966.  In 1970 the a second stage of construction added wings to the original structure completing the back half of the building. The gym was the third and final structure added to the site in 1993.  In the years since its construction the site has been used for pre-kindergarten and kindergarten classes.  Today it is the home of the Student Resource Center, Adult Education, Community Education, and other services aimed at special community needs.
1967
Schertz-Cibolo High School, located at 301 Main Street in Schertz becomes O'Henry Jr. High School when Samuel Clemens High School is completed.  In 1984 O'Henry Junior High was re-named Ray D. Corbett Junior High. During the nearly 60 year history of this school, the building has grown in stages from a single one story building into multiple one and two story buildings.  In 2009 Ray D. Corbett Junior High School moved to a replacement campus.  At the time of this writing, the plans for this school at 301 Main Street have not been finalized.
1967
January 19, 1967 the Board of Trustees for the Schertz-Cibolo Independent School District voted unanimously to rename the school district; Schertz-Cibolo-Universal City Independent School District.  The name change would become effective as of September 1, 1967.  By the same vote, the "new high school", which would not be completed until the fall, was named Samuel Clemens High School.
1967
In November 1967 the construction of Samuel Clemens High School (main building & field house) was completed.  

The construction of the new high school provided relief from rapid growth at the junior high school and allowed decision makers time to consider practical solutions as regard to the questionable condition of the 1916 structure that housed Cibolo Elementary School.  The vacated Schertz-Cibolo Senior High School (301 Main, Schertz) now became O�Henry Junior High School and O.G. Wiederstein Junior High School (on Schlather in Cibolo) became a sixth grade campus. 
 
Samuel Clemens High School has undergone many additions and renovations in the 43 years since the first students entered its doors. Today, the campus still provides modern facilities and current technology for students and faculty.
1969
O.G. Wiederstein Junior High School at 200 Schlather Road, Cibolo; becomes O.G. Wiederstein Elementary School for students in kindergarten through 5th grade. There were many additions and renovations to the site through the years.
 
In 2009 O.G. Wiederstein Elementary moved to a replacement campus located at 171 Borgfeld Road, Cibolo and this school was re-dedicated as the Marion Dolford Learning Center.
1969

The community is stunned by the death of Superintendent William Malish. Malish was credited with the passage of a $1.5 million bond issue in April 1969 that supported growth for the District into the next decade, and the acquisition of federal funding for the construction of an administrative building for SCUCISD.

1970
William Malish Administrative Building construction completed 
1974
J. Frank Dobie Jr. High School was built in five stages.  The original building, completed in 1974, was the intermediate school.
 
In 1990, the second stage of construction added seven classrooms and the first part of the classroom wing that now houses the industrial technology lab. The second part of this wing was completed in 1995 along with a new gym and athletic physical education facilities.

The campus became the district�s second Jr. High School in 1998 when Barbara Jordan Interm School was built to accommodate another period of rapid growth in the community.

In May 2007 the construction of a library addition, new science wing and new locker room was started. Completion is expected in the spring of 2008. Upgrades to the HVAC system were also started in May 2007.  The upgrades are expected to be completed in the fall/winter 2008.
1980
The 1980 census reported the Schertz-Cibolo-Universal City I.S.D. served a 60 square mile area; of which the population was 20,745.
1984

In 1984 O'Henry Junior High was re-named Ray D. Corbett Junior High to honor the SCUCISD educator/principal/administrator retiring after 24 years. 

During the nearly 60 year history of this school located at 301 Main Street, Schertz; the building has grown in stages from a single one story building into multiple one and two story buildings. 

In 2009 Ray D. Corbett Junior High School moved to a replacement campus.  In 2010, Allison L. Steele Enhanced Learning Center took up occupancy in the part of the site that is at 204 Wright Avenue.  Plans for the remainder of the school at 301 Main Street are still being developed.

1985
The First Golden Buffalo Awards were given to employees to recognize exemplary performance.  In 2000, these awards became known as "Commitment to Excellence Awards".
1988/1989
Student enrollment 3,900
1993

The SCUCISD Police Department is established.  All patrol officers are fully licensed Texas Peace Officers.

1994

SCUCISD built the Hall of Honor. Annually, district graduates and former employees who enrich the lives of our children and promote education as a life-long process are inducted into the "Hall of Honor" in recognition of their contribution to the District and community.

1994
Allison L. Steele Enhanced Learning Center was built established. ALSELC's student body has grown from 12 students in 1994 to 84 in 2010. On October 27th, 2010, the school was re-dedicated at 204 Wright Avenue in a building that was part of the old Corbett Junior High in order to accomodate the students and allow for future growth.
1995/1996
The districts enrollment was reported in excess of 4,800 in the 1995-1996 school year.  SCUCISD served the cities of Schertz and Cibolo and part of Universal City.  The service area extends over a 60 square mile area in northeast Bexar county and southwest Guadalupe county.
1996
1998
Barbara Charline Jordan Intermediate School was built. In August of 2006 construction of an additional wing with 13 classrooms and a computer lab got underway.  This first addition to the Jordan Interm Campus opened for the 2007/2008 School Year.
1999
 Maxine & Lutrell Watts Elementary was opened in 1999. Construction of an additional wing with 13 classrooms and a computer lab began at Watts Elementary in August 2006.  The 2007/2008 school year saw students and teachers using the new wing.
 
To learn about Maxine & Lutrell Watts, click here 
2001
The Toby Conner Agriculture Complex is named to honor the man�s 37 year career at SCUCISD and his achievements and success on behalf of his students.
2001
The "Commitment to Excellence Awards" replace the awards know as the "Golden Buffalo".  They are given annually to employee's who have achieved a level of excellence in their position that surpasses all others.
2001
The "Norma Paschal Commitment to Children Award" goes to the person who most exemplifies Norma Paschal's devotion to improving the lives of our children.  The award recognizes considerable dedication above and beyond the call of duty. The winner is chosen each year from the Commitment to Excellence Award winners.  It is the highest honor an SCUCISD employee can receive from the District. 
2001
2001

S.C.U.C.I.S.D. dedicates the construction of two new elementary schools to America's resolve to rebuild and recover from September 11 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the U.S. Pentagon. (Green Valley and Norma Paschal)

2002

The Herb Rehmann Auxiliary Services Complex is dedicated.

2003
Norma J. Paschal Elementary was dedicated in 2003. It is one of two elementary schools dedicated in the wake of the September 11th 2001 terrorist attacks, as a symbol of America's resolve to rebuild and recover. 
 
Norma Paschal Elementary is named for a lifelong nurse and teacher who dedicated more than 30 years to enriching the lives of the children of S.C.U.C.I.S.D. 
2003
Green Valley Elementary at 1694 Green Valley Road, Cibolo was dedicated in 2003.  It receives it's name in tribute to those who created the foundation for education in our community by the establishment of the original Green Valley Elementary.  
 
Green Valley Elementary is one of two elementary schools dedicated in 2001 as a symbol of America's resolve to rebuild and recover from the September 11th terrorist attacks. 
 
The site of the school on Green Valley Road is just a few miles from the site of the original Green Valley Elementary School built in 1887.
2005

The first students attended the District's newest high school,  Byron P. Steele II High School. It is located at 1300 F.M. 1103 in Cibolo.

Who is Byron P. Steele II?

2005

The Clarence T. Shelton  Athletics Complex was dedicated. The complex is at 1088 Elbel Road, Schertz, Texas.

2006/07

Since the turn of the century, Schertz-Cibolo communities are experiencing extraordinary growth.  The districts enrollment has rocketed to 9,611 reported in the spring of the 2006/2007 school year.  We face new challenges with each year as school officials predict rapid growth to continue to the end of the first decade.

2008

S.C.U.C.I.S.D. Board of Trustees is recognized by the Texas Association of School Administrators (TASA) as a 2008 Regional Honor Board

2008

O.G. Wiederstein Elementary School replacement campus is dedicated (171 Borgfeld Road, Cibolo). More than 600 students were enrolled in grades pre-kindergarten through Fourth in the 2008-09 school year at Wiederstein Elementary.

2008

February 21st. Lower Valley School is moved from Cibolo Valley to the new site of Northeast Lakeview College where it is slated to be restored as a living history museum of early Texas education.  As a living history museum, Lower Valley School will become a field trip destination where students will be able to spend a day in a school much like those attended by their grandparents and great grandparents in the 1800's.

2008

John A. Sippel Elementary School is dedicated for students in grades pre-kindergarten through fourth grade.

To learn about John A. Sippel, click here

2009

Schertz Elementary School replacement cam pus dedicated.  The replacement campus is adjacent to the site of the original Schertz Elementary School buildings at 701 Curtiss Avenue, Schertz.  Nearly all of the original construction that began in 1952 has been demolished.

2009

Dedication of the Ray D. Corbett Junior High School replacement campus. This campus is in a rural area near the intersection of Lower Seguin Road and F.M. 1518. Corbett Junior High opened its doors to more than 700 7th and 8th graders.

2009

Elaine S. Schlather Intermediate School is dedicated. It is dedicated as the District's third intermediate school for student's in the fifth and sixth grades. 

Click here to learn about Elaine S. Schlather.

2009

The Robert and Glenda Lenholf Stadium was dedicated.

2009

In December 2009 The Marion Dolford Learning Center was dedicated at the site of the old Wiederstein Elementary on Schlather Street in downtown Cibolo.  The Marion Dolford Learning Center houses the Cibolo Center Alternative Program and the District's Adult & Community Education Classes.

2010

Today SCUCISD boundaries extend over a 73 square mile area. We have 16 campuses serving an enrollment of 11,700 and employ approximately 1600.

2011

S.C.U.C.I.S.D. will celebrate 50 years of growth, progress and quality education. 

by C Cielencki 2010


 Click on the name of the decade below to visit expanded timelines.

The Sixties - The Seventies - The Eighties

The Nineties - The New Millennium


Below are links to other timelines that might interest you.

S.C.U.C.I.S.D. Construction Timeline

(PRESENTED BY SCUCISD FACILITIES & CONSTRUCTION)

Texas Timeline - Key Events in Early Texas

(PRESENTED BY LONE STAR JUNCTION)

Visit the Decades of S.C.U.C.I.S.D.

(PRESENTED BY SCUCISD HISTORY PROJECT)


The material on the SCUCISD History Project pages has no commercial purpose. They are provided for the visitor's entertainment. To the best of my knowledge, all graphics and pictures on the SCUCISD History Project website are public domain.  Please contact ccielencki@scuc.txed.net if you have any questions or comments.