Remember to send in an excuse note anytime your student is absent.
- Calling in a student absent does not excuse the absence – only a submitted note or e-mail from a parent/care provider excuses the absence.
To submit an excuse electronically...
- Fill out the Absence Form
- An absence is considered unexcused when a note is not provided within 3 days of the student returning to school.
- A note from a care provider will only excuse the day(s) listed. If your student is out for longer, an additional note from a parent is required to excuse the extra days.
- If your student is sent home by the nurse, a note from a parent is still required to excuse the time your student misses school.
- If a student has a note from a doctor that has instructions for PE/Athletics, it is the student's responsibility to make a copy for the PE/Athletics teachers. Any note that is turned in directly to the PE/Athletics teacher(s) that is not also given to the attendance clerk will be considered unexcused for attendance purposes.
- Three (3) unexcused absences will result in a Truancy Warning Letter from the school.
- A second warning letter is sent at eight (8) absences.
- Nine (9) or more unexcused absences (per academic year) will most likely result in a court appearance.
- A student is allowed nine (9) excused or unexcused absences per semester (18 per school year) in order to meet the Compulsory Attendance Law's 10% rule.
- Absences over this amount may result in loss of credit and/or grade retention.
- The tardy bell rings at 8:40 AM. Students will be counted tardy if they are not in their seats by 8:40 AM. After 10 minutes of the ringing of the tardy bell, students will be considered absent for the period they miss.